martes, 4 de junio de 2019

6/4/2019 Week 7:Cross-Cultural Students in the Classroom

English is one of the most important languages that connect the world and especially connects persons and create relationships around it.
Resultado de imagen para DIVERSE CLASSROOM
In my short experience teaching this language, I had the opportunity to meet students from different cultures and countries.
Being a TESOL student had been a great part of my life. I definitely don't see things now like I used to do before. Like I said before, I met many students but I didn't know how to manage their cultural transition before studying at BYU-I. 
In this week we are talking about Cross-Cultural Students in the Classroom. This topic is essential in all teachers methodology. We, teachers, have to be ready for facing situations with this kind of students.  

Resultado de imagen para niño otavaleñoIn my actual classroom, I have one student who is "Otavaleño" (an ethnic group of Ecuador). He's very enthusiastic about learning English. I didn't know that he is from a different culture, I realized it today. I heard that some classmates were laughing at him because of his culture. I talked with him and I told him what incredible is to know what he does and what makes him special. Also, we had a conversation as a class and we discuss what makes a special. 

For these kinds of students is really hard to be part of a new world. They are facing many challenges such as food, habits, school, etc. and as teachers is our obligation to understanding and guide them in their adaptation period. Also, we can learn about their culture and adapt the positive points into our class and make them feel at home. 


In my home culture, we learn to respect and listen to others. That's why I think I appreciate each culture and differences. 


I invite you to be a teacher that your students need, love and teaching them something more than just a foreign language, teaching them about LIFE.  


You can find examples of cross-cultural students in the following video:




HOW DO YOU MANAGE DISCRIMINATION IN YOUR CLASSROOM?







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario